Ujjwal Discom Assurance Yojana

The Ujjwal Discom Assurance Yojana (UDAY) is a financial restructuring and turnaround package for electricity distribution companies (DISCOMs) in India. Launched by the Government of India in November 2015, UDAY aims to improve the financial health of struggling DISCOMs, reduce their losses, and ensure a stable and affordable power supply to consumers.
What is Ujjwal Discom Assurance Yojana of Indian Government

Key Objectives and Features of Ujjwal Discom Assurance Plan:

1. Financial Restructuring: Under UDAY, state governments take over 75% of the short-term liabilities of their respective DISCOMs. The remaining 25% of the liabilities are issued as state-guaranteed DISCOM bonds. This restructuring helps reduce the interest burden on DISCOMs, making their finances more manageable.
2. Operational Efficiency: Participating DISCOMs are required to implement measures to improve operational efficiency, reduce power losses, and enhance revenue collection. This includes initiatives to reduce theft, improve billing and collection efficiency, and upgrade infrastructure.
3. Tariff Reforms: DISCOMs commit to reducing aggregate technical and commercial (AT&C) losses and ensuring a reduction in the gap between the average cost of supply and the average revenue realized (ACS-ARR gap). Tariff reforms are implemented to ensure a sustainable revenue model for DISCOMs.
4. Energy Efficiency Improvements: UDAY emphasizes the importance of energy efficiency and encourages DISCOMs to promote energy-saving measures, smart meters, and efficient use of electricity in both urban and rural areas.
5. Monitoring and Accountability: The progress of DISCOMs under UDAY is monitored through a set of key performance indicators (KPIs). States are required to meet certain milestones and show improvement in financial and operational parameters to avail the benefits of the scheme.
6. Benefits to Consumers: The reduction in losses and improvements in operational efficiency translate into better and more reliable power supply for consumers. Additionally, tariff reforms aim to ensure that electricity tariffs are more reflective of the actual cost of supply.
7. Financial Support: UDAY provides financial assistance to DISCOMs in the form of cheaper loans, lower interest rates, and other financial instruments. States are encouraged to participate in the scheme to avail these benefits.
By addressing the financial and operational challenges faced by DISCOMs, UDAY aims to create a sustainable and efficient power distribution sector in India. The ultimate goal is to ensure reliable and affordable electricity supply for all consumers, stimulate economic growth, and attract investments in the power sector.