Biography of Ram Raghoba Rane:

Second lieutenant Ram Raghoba Rane is a respected Indian soldier of Param Vir Chakra. He received this honor in 1948.

Ram Raghoba Rane was born on 26th June 1918 in Haveri village in Dharwar district of Karnataka. He is the Police Constable RP from Karnataka’s North Kanara district. It was Rane’s son. Rane’s initial education, mostly in the district school, was chaotic due to the frequent transfers of his father. In 1930, he was impressed by the non-cooperation movement, which was concerned about Indian independence from Great Britain. His involvement with the movement worried his father, who took the family back to his ancestral village in Chandia.

Biography of Ram Raghoba Rane
Ram Raghoba Rane

Indian Army recruitment of Ram Raghoba Rane

In 1940 the Second World War was rapidly. Even within Raghoba, there was a desire to live a passionate life, so he decided to go to the Indian Army. His desire was painted and he came to Bombay Engineers on July 10, 1940. There, their enthusiasm and efficiency created better opportunities for them. This is the best recruit of its batch. On this he was promoted to a hero and he was given the commandant’s stick. After the training, Raghoba came in 28 field company of 26 Infantry Division. The company was fighting with the Japanese in Burma While returning from Burma, Raghosha Rane was stopped with two detachments and he was assigned the task to destroy the enemy’s ammunition in Boothidang and destroy their vehicles. Raghoba and his companions managed to do this work. It was planned that Navy ships will carry them ahead of this time. Unfortunately, this plan was not successful and those people had to cross the river themselves. It was a risky job because of the tremendous patrolling and inspection of Japan on that river. In spite of this, Raghoba and his companions, while avoiding the sight of Japanese enemies, were overcome by defeating them and these people entered their outer market to their division. It was a very courageous and sensible task, for which they were immediately made havildar.


In December 1947, the enemy had captured Jhangar. On March 18, 1948, the country’s army overcame Jangar again. (Before reaching Rajouri of Major Swa Singh’s troop, he dispersed Zangar and captured the Pakistani army)

At the same time, the Pakistani army retreated and destroyed the National Highway between Rajouri and the tail.

 Due to the absence of the way, the army detachment of Major Swa Singh tried to reach Rajouri via Naushahra. This was a very old way of Mughal period. The detachment of the 4th Dogra Regiment attacked the Barwali Ridge in Rajouri on 8th April, 1948 and defeated the enemies further. This place was 11 kms away from Naushahra. But there was a lot of bad roads ahead of Barwali and the Pakistani army was also quite mines, so that there was a lot of difficulty in moving the vehicles and tanks of the Indian Army.

In this difficult moment, 2nd Lieutenant Rama Raghoba Rane and his 37 Assult Field Company, along with the detachment of the 4th Dogra Regiment, started the removal of the mine fields imposed by Pakistani army on 8th April, introducing courage. . Here the Pakistani army was constantly firing on them. In it, two combatants (combat engineer / a military engineer who lays or detects and disarms mines) died and 5 people, including Rama Raghoba Rane, were badly injured.

Even after being injured, Rane got along with his colleagues to finish the removal of landmines by that evening, and made the way forward for the army’s vehicles and tanks.

Param veer chakra to Ram Raghoba Rane

On April 21, 1948, Ranee’s award for Paramveer Chakra was gazetted for his work on April 8, 1948 for Rajouri of Ravana. The official quote reads:

After the war, on 25 June 1958, Rane remained in the Indian army till his retirement. During his military career, Rane was mentioned in the nomenclature five times. He was later employed as a member of the Indian Army Civil Workers. He remained in the army’s job till April 7, 1971, and at the time he retired in the number of employees. He died in the Southern Command Hospital in Pune in 1994, survived his wife, three sons and a daughter.